My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://www.simpleeatsfood.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mom's Sauce





Growing up, my mom's tomato sauce was my favorite dish she made. She'd put it over noodles, chicken, or rice, but most of the time I'd end up simply eating it off of the wooden spoon (granted this was the same spoon I was threatened with when I misbehaved)...ahhh childhood memories.

I would watch my mom simmer her sauce for more than an hour and I would wait impatiently as the scent of basil, tomatoes, wine and garlic wafted through the house. A few years ago, I tried my hand at making my own sauce, and I finally got it right. I don't really measure anything, but since I perfected the ingredient list, it always seems to turn out just right no matter how much I put in. I made it for my mom for the first time a few months ago when she was visiting andddd...she loved it! SCORE!

My version of Mom's tomato sauce:
1 15 oz. of Hunt's tomato sauce (I recently discovered it and it's by far my favorite)
1 8 oz. can of tomato paste
big glug of red wine (any kind will do)
2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tblsp. olive oil
1 tsp. italian seasoning
salt, freshly ground black pepper, red chili pepper flakes

*For the salt, pepper and flakes, adjust the amount according to taste.

Heat oil in sauce pan until it ripples, add garlic and saute until golden and soft. Add sauce, paste, wine and seasonings and stir until paste starts to "melt" into sauce. Simmer on low for 45 minutes. ENJOY!

(image courtesy of Tomato Casual)

No comments:

Post a Comment